Drum Sampler / Rompler

I know Robert recommends Addictive Drums and the expansion packs, but I’ve been leaning toward getting Superior Drummer 3 based on what I’ve been reading.

Any experience / opinions?

I use superior drummer 3, both the plugin and standalone version. The standalone version works great for practising. Personally I like the SD3 sounds better then the ones of Addictive drums.
I believe EZDrummer lacks the custom midi mapping stuff Robert sometimes talks about, but if you don’t need that, it could be a cheaper option then Superior Drummer.

1 Like

I’m gonna buy Superior Drummer as well soon. I kept waiting for a sweet discount but it seems to never come :slight_smile:

I chose AD2 over SD3 partially because of the price. XLN audio has regular sales where the AD2 starter pack goes to around $100.

And when you look at the features and sounds it has (and ease of use to set up for finger drumming) Thats just great for me as a teacher to recommend.

I suspect SD3 is gonna be great by the way!

Superior Drummer is incredible. As someone who records and mixes a lot of digital drums (my friend has a Yamaha kit), it’s really been a game-changer in terms of realism. The things that make a drum set sound realistic are the room and ambient mics, and SD3 has gotten those just right.

I’m just starting to use it for finger drumming for myself, but it seems excellent for that too. It can get pricey however if you want to get all the good libraries. If you mostly work in a couple styles of music, you don’t really need them all though.

In the end, I think it depends on your needs. If you are just trying to practice finger drumming and aren’t trying to spend a lot, AD is probably the way to go. If you plan to produce a lot of music with it and want a lot of control over your kit sound during the mixing process, I’d go with SD3 (budget permitting).

1 Like