Strength issue with the pad

Hi everyone,

I’m not sure if it’s my own issue or it’s common. I’m a beginner finger drummer who started 3 days ago on my Maschine Mikro MK3, following along Rob’s lessons. I always have a problem where the sound volume is too low when I play the pad with normal amount of strength. I have to hit it very hard to make a normal amount of sound volume. However, I don’t feel comfortable if I have to hit very hard every time, and it’s very hard to control & easy to get tired.

For now I solve this problem by using “fix” velocity in my Kontact Player with Abbey Road Modern Drummer, so that it just has the fixed amount of sound volume disregarding to how hard/light I hit the pad.

Does anyone else have the same issue? And how do you solve it? Thank you!

I would start by going to controller editor software (you can get it on the native instruments download page)

Open up the software in admin mode (if you’re on windows, right click, run as administrator) or just run it on mac.

Now with your maschine plugged in you can actually set a velocity curve and you can also set the sensitivity of the device. I’d start by just setting it to most sensitive and see how that works out. After that, try the different velocity curves and see what works for you.

Let me know if something is unclear.

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I ran the controller editor and found the velocity option there. I’m not sure if that sounds a little insane but I ended up turning the minimum velocity to 100 from 0 for all the pads (maximum unchanged at 127). It works well for me. At least I can still make sounds on different levels without feeling uncomfortable :+1:

By the way I really enjoy your course. Keep up with the good work!

Alright adler, whatever works for you! Glad to hear it!

You’ve probably moved on by now, but here’s my response anyway. I have an MKII. I use the Pad Velocity Curve settings on the first page in the Controller Editor. Soft1 to Soft3 provide settings if you have a lighter touch. By setting minimum velocity to 100 I believe you’re restricting the output of the controller to 100 to 127. That is no matter how lightly you hit the pads- it’s going to output 100 or greater. The provided curves give a better velocity profile, I think. Soft3 is for mapping the lightest touch. If that’s still too hard to play. I’d then set minimum output velocity to something smaller. 30 or so maybe. To preserve a large dynamic range.

1 Like