Sounds for 4x4 drum set in Ableton Live 10 Lite

Hi,

Could you help me choose sound samples that I can bind to Launchpad X keys in Ableton Live 10 Lite so it sounds similar to 4x4 pad from beginners course?

There’s a million samples in Ableton and I’m lost…

If by any chance you could recommend settings for entire set The best 8x8 pad layout for finger drumming - The Quest for Groove that would be great :slight_smile:

Cheers

P.S. I’m a total noob, I’ve bought LP a year ago and it was sitting in a drawer, what a shame, I want to learn some basic finger drumming.

1 Like

Hey! I personally don’t use Ableton so I cannot tell you which sounds are similar.

The idea behind the Ableton drum rack is straightforwar enough though. Just drag the right sample to the right pad :slight_smile: I think it gets explained in this video: Ableton Live Drum Rack in 5 Minutes - YouTube

If you search for “kick” “snare” “sidestick” “hi hat” “ride” “tom” etc. you should be able to find samples and recreate the QFG layout.

It will never sound the way my kit sounds though, but that is because of how Addictive Drums (my kit) works. It’s a drum kit “simulator”, which means it uses multiple samples for each kit piece. The snare for example has at least 20 samples. For soft hits, loud hits and then also to “round robin” hits which means no two hits will sound exactly the same. Just like a real drum kit. That is the sound I like so much as opposed to the regular sampled sound you’ll find in Ableton.

It’s important to understand this. If you like my exact drum sound you will need what I use myself. I would not recommend it otherwise, because ofcourse it’s much better if stuff is free :slight_smile:

There’s a Black Friday sale going on and if you get the starter pack and then select the “Black Oyster, Fairfax 1 and Funk” kits, you’ll basically have every sound I ever use for under $100 !

You can use Addictive drums standalone or inside Ableton. Setting up inside ableton does take some work but there are some videos and guides also here on the messageboards from other users who made it work!

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful.

Cheers,
Robert

Thanks for quick reply!

Referring to your 8x8 diagram:

• what’s the difference between Tom A/B, Cymbal A/B/C. Should I try to find A sound which is lower than B?
  • Cymbal * means?

Sorry, at this level I can’t make any smarter questions :slight_smile:

So, Cymbal A means your most used cymbal, cymbal B your second most used and then cymbal C the third most used and cymbal * means that you can do anything here. Maybe some very weird cymbal or a vibraslap or something. I doubt you’ll be using it that much.

I change the cymbals I use and where I place them based on what beat / song I play. It really depends on what fits, so that’s the reason they have these names A, B and C because there is no definitive ideal order. I would go for most used (A), to least used (C and *)

1 Like

Tom A/B is no difference. You will simply need two pads for each tom in order to play rolls on the small pads. Alternating on one single pad is a little hard, so you just have to assign the same tom sound to two pads. It’s a little inconsistent I must admit that I named them A/B when they’re exactly the same sound.

1 Like

I started fiddling around with stuff in Live Lite a while ago before I wanted to commit real money to this hobby. Instead of diving into Addictive Drums 2 without knowing if I’d really like finger drumming, I used Live Lite with the free version of Steven Slate Drums (SSD). With that intro drums sample library, you can use the QFG layout that Rob made and get a feel for what a “nicer” drums library could sound like. If you want a sound similar to the QFG tutorials, I highly recommend using SSD instead of the basic Ableton drums. And then when you’re ready, make the jump to something like Addictive Drums 2 (which goes on a 50% off sale during the last week of November each year).

1 Like