More expression? Linnstrument, postional and foot controllers

I was wondering if anyone has tried this but I tried using my expression pedals in addictive drums to control the openness of my hit hat. so I can play with my fingers but still incorporate my feet to have that control and acoustic drummer would have. and also the instrument has positional left and right and up down expression so that could be used for how a snare or really where a snare is hit in the software like the way a real e drum does.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good one. I just use the knobs / slider on the maschine to get this done, which means using one hand to change the knobs or touch the slider in a certain place.

I think in practice it’s something to explore for live performances. If you’re recording songs, like me, you can always change the snare / hi hat articulations in the mix with some automation or by editing the midi notes.

Also, the dynamic range for finger drummers will always remain small compared to real drummers. That aspect of expression will unfortunately always be hard to obtain. The best way I can think of right now is to have multiple instances of addictive drums with different velocity curves for different sections of the song and then skipping to that other kit with a foot pedal if that’s even possible.

I have a Linnstrument by the way and I tried using it for drumming, but there is something about the sensors that makes this hard to get right. It will not be consistent in the sensing of the velocity of my hits. I think short, percussive hits are just not what it’s made for.

Hi Rob, can this
“…Yeah that’s a good one. I just use the knobs / slider on the maschine to get this done, which means using one hand to change the knobs or touch the slider in a certain place.”
be done with a MPD 218? what cc should be asigned to the knobs?
greets and :hugs:23!

Yeah with the mpd218 you can use those rotator knobs to set CC values. In Addictive drums you’ll find it in these two spots inside the map window:

Simply use midi learn to assign a knob!

…boy, I must be missing something simple, but cannot find how to get this working with mpd218/AD settings…

I’m not 100% sure what could be going on here, but let’s try things one by one.

1: Did you select the special kit pieces that work with cc modifiers? See screenshot.

Yep, one by one is what needed; boy, don’t want to fall in the “midiot” category, but still don’t see how.
My settings: assign pad to note 8. Learn cc while moving pot. And don’t know how to follow. Maybe is posible this request to a different new topic? greets

So if you do this it should work:

• Click learn next to the CC number thing in the CC hihat menu
  • Turn a knob.
  • This should now immediately work. You see that the thing next to the “CC number” thing starts lighting up and something starts to move in the window above.
  • If you now set a cc controlled hi hat to a random pad, the hi hat will sound differently when turning the knob.

Now, if you hit learn, turn the knob and nothing happens, nothing lights up, nothing starts to move, then the CC controller knob does not work.

Try some other knobs first. Sometimes, none of the knobs output a valid CC value, but a regular MIDI note value. In that case you have to go into the MPD218 controller editor and change the value. But standard, all the knobs send out CC values.

If you hit learn, turn the knob, things start to light up and move around the screen wen you turn it, and you do not hear anything change when turning the knob, then you just did not assign a CC controlled hi hat to the pad, but a regular hi hat. There can be no other reason.

Got it!!! :hugs:
Did: all steps you mention, plus a learn in the “CC Number”, all while mouse click on the CCHiHat Tip key. Then test from MPD pad. Amazing!
…bt there is a looot to learn on the midi side of the app to really get the most of it.
Thank you Robert!

2 Likes

Awesome! Glad you figured it out!