Esi/Artesia Xjam

thanks to @ Robert_Mathijs for Esi Xjam advice, it’s a great piece of gear very sensitive, responsive and customizable.
I have quite big hands and I must say that I don’t feel the need for bigger pads, maybe every now and then it’s so sensitive that if not set properly, with the pads so “close” I trigger the nearby pad, maybe with bigger keys it would be slightly better but the problem reported by Robert is not present with this firmware; I’m really nitpicking because with the customizable curves for each pad and all the various functions for 150 euros shipped (at least here in Italy) it’s truly a perfect instrument.
I can’t talk about reliability over time yet because I’ve only been playing it since today but it kidnapped me.
maybe this could be the post where to combine tips and tricks of the owners of this car.
Happy New Year to all

1 Like

Hi NKL23,

I ordered one last week and its going to arrive middle of January. I debated between the Xjam and Maschine Mikro. Went with the Xjam because all I need are pads, not all the extra functionality and sounds that come with MM. Plus the Xjam is smaller which for me is a plus. I have small hands and I find with my padKontrol it is sometimes a stretch for those corner to corner cymbals. I also tried the Atom (I use studio One) but the pads were not as good as the padKontrol, and most of the so-called extra functionality was worse than just using a mouse.

Of course today I was in the local music shop and they have a Boxing Week sale and MM is $80 off, which is $100 after taxes. Sigh…Well maybe I will buy one when the Xjam arrives and compare them. But I am not too tempted. I have the S61 keyboard and Komplete Ultimate, so I am not too interested in anything else from NI.

I will post my thoughts on the Xjam when it arrives.

2 Likes

Yes, bug fixed:
“ESI Xjam Editor App 1.07 / Xjam Firmware 1.4.4
Changes:
Xjam Editor 1.07 supports firmware upgraded to version 1.44
Fixes:
Improper behavior of two adjacent pads
Repeat note mode bug, where notes got triggered upon release of repeat-button, fixed”

Are you sure velocity are customisable for each pad, or is a general all-pad setting? could not see clear from manuals. Greets and enjoy toy!

Last time I checked it seemed to be a global curve. The sensitivity tresholds can be set per pad, but not the curve.

I received the XJAM this last week. I am noticing what I think is called “double triggering”… but this is my first pad ever and first time playing. Here is a video of the behavior:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C3AA2uB2gNj6YmingkM2cuHj-8BiqLBb/view?usp=sharing

1 - Is this double triggering?
2 - Is there a setting that will stop this?

Nothing I tried stopped it from happening. I updated to firmware version 1.44 and boot loader version 1.06.

3 - Is this a hardware issue or could it be fixed with an update?

Yeah that sure looks like double triggering. I think you can set the pad threshold for each pad on the device in the Xjam editor. If you set the threshold a little higher for the pads that do the double triggering the problem will probably go away. Make sure you set it for each pad that needs it and then save the configuration onto the device. And do it in small steps. So 1 step at a time, no big moves!

Let me know if this helped!

Oh and one more thing: Maybe see if you can turn the aftertouch off somewhere. Or at least set the threshold high. You don’t need it and it might lead to more triggers.

I can’t get it to stop double triggering. This video is of me trying to change the behavior by altering the settings. In the video you can see that I couldn’t get it to double trigger for about 15 seconds, but then it was pretty consistently double triggering as I went thru setting and saving all the positive “Pad Threshold” values. In the video you can see how I turned aftertouch off (or at least how I tried to do so).

I really liked this pad and software, but will be trying to return it. Hopefully I am the only one that experiences this.

Yeah I did not notice this myself with my controller. Swapping it out seems like a smart move. It would be interesting to know if the replacement unit does work well.

I might buy another one when im home from holiday and see what it does.

Im sorry you have to go through some trouble. Just know that its unfortunately a part of getting everything up and running in some cases.

For now id say, swap it out for another one and we’ll move from there. Because the xjam is fairly new I cannot really tell you what the chance is of getting a bad unit. So far from the comments I got I got more positive ones than negative… i really hope thats gonna be the ratio.

HI. Mine just ariived. How do I find the software editor?

Over here I think. Let me know if the link works!
https://download.esi-audio.com/?w=esi&p=120&g=5&l=en

Yes thanks the link worked. But…when I open it with Studio one also open, the editor says the Xjam is busy and I have to close Studio One. When I do that then I have to unplug and replug the Xjam to get the editor to see it. Then with studio one closed I get no sound. How can I adjust the sensitivity with no sound. I reopen Studio One and can’t get any sound unless I reconnect the Xjam again, and then the editor won’t work! Is there someting I’m missing?

I don’t know the exact solution to this problem. I don’t own or use Studio One.
I have not encountered this problem myself.

Addictive Drums has a standalone mode which works at the same time as the Xjam editor. My DAW Reaper also just works.

My guess is if you need to use sounds within studio one and you cannot configure the controller at the same time, you should focus on the lights of the pads. So just set it so that a light tap with just the weight of your hand being able to trigger the pads.

It is weird though that the controller gets “blocked”. I’ve never experienced that before. Could it be a studio one exclusive problem? I might have to check in a couple of DAWs.

I contacted support. Here’s what they said:

Hello Brent,

Under Windows there is a restriction that the Windows MIDI port driver cannot be occupied by two software clients (here Xjam editor and Presonus Studio One) at the same time. This is a Microsoft restriction.

However, we have developed a special Xjam MIDI driver which is currently in beta and may solve this problem. I would make the Beta Xjam MIDI driver available to you tomorrow.
Best regards,
Mike

Ah wow, this is new to me. I’ve switched to Mac two years ago, before Windows 11. Before that I never experienced something like that but… I guess this is how it is now.

Glad to hear they’re working on a driver fix!

…wondering and thinking on the Xjam, does the external pedal option may allow a kind of HHat open/close/transiction? :thinking:

that’s always tricky. I have never gotten that to work with other controllers. I think it’s because you need to basically just set it as some sort of midi cc controller inside the software you’re using. A lot of drum pedals are not really midi pedals, they’re this weird ROLAND system and they might not work well.

It’s more complicated.

Yes, maybe not that simple. Probably this optional pedal conector is just a switch, on/off. But saw Xjam had this conector, so wondering if…
Btw, now talking about Roland, I never seen you finger-drumming over the famous Roland Handsonic HPD20, which seems to be the “holy grail” of hand percusion in terms of sensitivity/features/ergonomy. Is not a prefered option ? of course, price isn’t comparative to MPD.

It does not really have my interest because it has a completely different layout, with large pads and smaller ones, really focusing on percussion techniques.

It would be impossible to make top down diagrams for the device, plus it would not be possible to use any of the techniques I’ve learned.

It is also expensive which lowers the barrier to entry for beginners as you mentioned. Not a great way to ‘bring finger drumming to the masses’.

It would be fun to try one day, or use as an extra device for inspiration, but I would never fully switch to it because of those reasons.