Esi/Artesia Xjam

So after some installation problems, which seem to have been specific to my computer and not the fault of the Xjam itself or the editor software, I’ve had a few days to practice with it. Coming from the padKontrol, it’s quite small which took a bit to get used to. But it saves on desk space so overall it’s a plus.

The pad sensitivity is remarkable. I can get audible sounds at inputs of 1 or 2. I had to dial back the headroom 2 or 3 notches on a few of the pads because I was maxxing out too easily. Once that was done, the unit has a smooth response through the velocities. I haven’t had to adjust the sensitivity at all. Being able to adjust these levels on a per pad basis is great. I just use the straight linear velocity curve so far (number 4). It is a universal, not per pad, curve.

As to the rotary encoders. As others have mentioned, mine were jerky and sluggish as well. I contacted support about the initial problems I was having and asked about the encoders. Here is the reponse:

"Regarding the encoders:

Xjam uses the encoder as midi controller. It covers 20 signal steps within one cycle.

If you turn the knob faster, it still sends out 20 midi messages also, but the step between two message is greater than 1. You might find maybe steps 0,6,12,18,…127.

I admit, that relative values for Xjam’s controllers is a compromise. We are considering adding relative CC messages for the encoders, but I cannot tell yet, when this feature will be implemented.

I have to discuss with the developers if this could be implemented via firmware or if this is rather a feature for a future hardware update."

Support from Mike from ESI was prompt and helpful. The issues I was having worked themselves out (computer gremlins I guess). The build quality is excellent. It’s nice to have a no-nonsense controller where you aren’t paying for redundant features or libraries you’ll never use (Maschine and Aura) or redundant DAW integration with so-so pads (Atom).

1 Like

Thanks a lot for sharing this Brendtd! I think the time might have come to start putting the Xjam in as my main budget recommendation and push the Atom down on the recommendations list.

Are there any Studio One users here? I saw esi xjam preset in external device settings? so it has some premapped functions in studio one on bank 2. ESI - Knowledge Base / FAQ: Presonus Studio One integration for Xjam

Im almost new in such devices and this will be my first device. Choosing between presonus atom and xjam. Afraid of low sensitivie pads on Atom and in case if ill chose it i hope to fix sensitivity with some tape. I used it on trigger finger and it helped. ( awful sensitivity for me actually). Also afraid of some octave shifting issues like in this thread PreSonus Forums | How to utilize pads 14 15 and 16 | Atom Pad Controller General Discussion

I don`t really need all “integration” features of Atom like navigation and scale keyboard modes. But transport control, undo redo, tap tempo is highly preferred. I wish to know is xjam preset in studio one adds something more than knobs assignment for mojito? Is it assign knobs to impact xt? Or is it has some kind of “shift” button which can let me use pads for daw commands like undo, redo etc in parallel with basic xjam possibilities like swing, octave shift which already assigned on its pads?

I can buy atom cheaper by about 20 % than xjam. So it`s really hard choise for me.

1 Like

I have Studio One. Tried and returned the Atom. Didn’t need/use any of the integration. Pads are so-so.

Tried and kept the Xjam. You can download the manual without buying it to see what it can do. Right now, the knobs don’t work so well. Sluggish and jerky. However, a fix is coming, maybe in a couple of months. I got that straight from the developer. There is no pre-mapping to instruments like Impact. You have to manually assign everything like the FAQ states. I just use my QWERTY for DAW commands. You might try that before buying the Atom just for those functions. I found them all pretty useless and slower than a mouse and QWERTY. I don’t use Impact or Mojito. You can email support at ESI to ask questions.

Xjam has customizable velocity curves and per pad sensitivity. Quality build. I was so impressed I bought their Xkey 37 as well.

Some have commented on pad inconsistencies between units. Buy two or three if you can and keep the best one, return the others.

2 Likes