Yamaha FGDP tom layout?

Just wondering how people are finding the tom layout on the Yamahas?
I have an 8x8 controller and tried to set up a layout similar and it kind of works.
So I was just wondering what advantages people have found with the Yamaha layout versus the QFG layout when playing toms?

The Yamaha Tom layout works very well. It lso has some drawbacks where it’s hard to play a hi hat at the same time, but I’ve been playing the FGDP for months now and it’s a nice way to do things.

One finger for each tom basically.

1 Like

I like the low tom close to the bass drum if I use R&B kit to play yay area, hiphy, Mechanics type hip hop beats.

I also really like the Tom Layout of the FGDP. I think I prefer it to using the 4x4 layout and placing it above the hats.

But with a 4x4 layout, you don’t have a lot of choice, so with the 4x4 layout I go with the QFG layout and place them at the top (just inverse direction → low tom is right). When I had a Novation Launchpad, I had a layout which was a mix between QFG and FGDP, putting the toms in both places. And I preferred the FGDP style - one tom per finger, symmetrical - and below the snare. I think the Yamaha people had this well thought through and made a good choice.

1 Like