QFG pad layout - L-R, High-Low toms anyone?

I’m pretty sure, as somebody who plays drums and has done a fair amount of programming using e-drum pads and keys, that I’ll program the toms left-to-right, rather than the right-to-left high-to-low tom layout.

It just seems like muscle memory is on my side to do fills from high toms to low toms in a left-to-right direction.

Just curious, does anyone else have the same instinct and have you done this also?

Or, is there something with finger drumming that makes this layout better for certain fills?

Thanks,

Ken

1 Like

Probably somebody more experienced than me can give you a reason for it, these are just my thoughts:

First, I did the same for the very same reason (real drumkit). For the music I usually play, however, doesn’t seem to matter too much as I rarely use toms… So I changed it to the qfg tom layout, so when there are some toms in the courses I can just follow what is there.
I guess if you play, for example metal, then it could matter if you’re already used to the “conventional” tom layout. But then you probably need 1-2 more toms anyway.

1 Like

When I started finger drumming, I never touched a real drum kit in my life, so when setting up the toms I just put them in a row that felt good to me, starting with the high tom closer to my “main” kit off kick snare hihat. I think that was because I would play that standard fill of all three toms and then a crash, and it felt good to be able to reach that first tom quickly.

The thing with Toms and Cymbals and Sidestick pads is that you can actually mess around with them to suit your needs. Even to suit your needs per song. I actually change the toms as well sometimes, putting the ones I use the most directly above the hihat and open hihat and the “rare” tom more to the left.

With cymbals same thing, I put the cymbal I use most in the song in. the upper right corner. That can be any type. Crash, splash etc. (I actually use the word crash for every cymbal by the way and I cannot seem to stop doing that… another example of me not ever having been a real drummer :slight_smile: )

And then the side stick pads, those change to cowbells, tambourines etc. quite often. And in a song where I don’t use any toms, some of the toms might actually become Bongo’s or something.

So long story short: If a certain tom layout feels better to you, just change it and make a mental note to translate my lessons in that department. Also just change them around to suit your needs, that way you’ll get used to being a little felixble and it will make the barrier to just quickly set something up a little differently less steep, which will also be good in the long run.

Obviously moving around your real drum kits kit pieces kinda sucks, but on these 16 pads its super quick and easy, so we better make use of that as well!

3 Likes

I started learning drums on a v drum kit about 3 months ago. I hadn’t really noticed that the toms were in a different order to be honest between the kit and finger drumming. I’m obviously a beginner on drums but I can’t say I’ve noticed much (if any) cross over in terms of muscle memory between real drums and finger drumming pads. Where I do get cross over between the two instruments is a reinforcement of my sense of timing

I talked about this extensively today in the livestream. I also put timelinks in the comments of the video so you can skip to relevant moments.

Hope this clears things up some more!

1 Like

I’m not a drummer either, but I’m considering switching to the High->Low order for the following reasons:

• Some beats use the low-tom instead of the high-hat. With the low-tom directly above the open-hat (R), i can play such beats with one hand. If I’m using two hands (right hand plays tom, left kick and snare) they don’t get into each other way as much.
  • Usually fills start with high toms and end with low toms. At the end of a fill, I need to be back in regular position, maybe play the crash in top right corner. With High->Low, I’m moving into the right direction where I need to be later. (you mention this in the livestream)

I also find it very helpful to think about some pads as “fixed” (position of kick, snare, hats, crash (top right) and ride. The rest I treat as interchangeable, especially when I’m playing something not acoustic.

So about the order of the toms:
I found over time that with the hi to lo order of the toms the only thing that matters is what you’re used to.

There are certain tom fills that work really well left to right and others are easier right to left. It mainly depends on with which hand you end up where. Usually a hi to lo thing works well if you start on beat with your right hand. If you start offbeat, left to right will be better.

The distance to the cymbal never seems to be a problem. If it would be, you’re going insanely fast and the Cymbal B pad in the left bottom corner is also there should you need it.

About moving things around:
Yes, this is how I see it too. Consider your top two pads above the snares the “main” tom pads and the one to the left the “extra” tom pad.

And just set them up for the song you need. I do this all the time.

1 Like

Thanks for your extensive answer!

Yes, you mentioned this also in the video. But if I try to observe me here, having less distance to travel also means that the motion feels more natural and relaxed to me. Since I’m not that used to the 4x4 grid layout yet, more movement means indeed that I feel less “save” and make mistakes more quickly.

Since you mentioned the Cymbal B in bottom left corner. This is indeed one of my “flex” slots and in my regular playing, I’ve never used it to play cymbals. I rather use it for percussion or with e-drumsets as an alternative Kick sample.

But this is why I appreciate this conversation and your take on teaching so much. You explain more the approach and mindset how you go about it and then everyone can came up with something that fits his own preferences or style.

1 Like

Thanks! I hope I motivate students to keep thinking for themselves :slight_smile: The Tom layout especially is just “a way to do it” and I know it works but especially with the order of the toms you can do anything, as long as it does not confuse you.

Yeah I can imagine that actually. For me it feels so natural to do this (I notice my right hand immediately starts moving to the right when the left hand is still on it’s way hitting the tom) but that’s a good example of what I’m used to vs what someone else needs. I think you made the right call here. For you. Just keep an open mind and switch when you feel like that’s better in the future (and then switch back and then with again, all fine :slight_smile: )

1 Like