Section 2 Lesson 1 question: fingering the fill

Hey Robert,

I’m curious about the fingering for the fill in Section 2 lession 1. As written, I use the right hand (dominant) on pads 15 & 11, then left index on 15, then right on 14 &10, left index on 14, then right hand on 13 and 9.

For me, my left hand gets in the way of my right, and I have to wait until after the left hand index has done its thing before I move my right hand (as the right hand is travelling left as it were).

I’m curious why you wrote it this way. I know I can always play it anyway I want, but from the dizzying heights of Section 2 Lesson 1 I don’t want to not take your advice. What’s the thinking behind this fingering?

Thanks,

• Mark
2 Likes

Ah yes, well the reasoning behind this fill is to actually help you learn how to play those pads with two hands on the same pad and then moving across them.

I actually hit the pads in a different spot, looking at the video I seem to do it with my right hand being more lower on the pad and the left hand being higher. I know I also regularly hit the pad more on the right side with my right hand and more on the left side with my left hand. Vertically I think you can flip things around depending on what’s comfortable. So putting your right hand higher and left hand lower. That’s ok as well. By hitting the pads in a different place you’ll probably find that your hands are no longer that much in the way of each other.

The easiest way to get started I think is simply hit with your right hand in one corner and with your left hand in the opposite corner of the pad so that your hands are as far away from each other as possible. See if that works and from there you can optionally move the hands a little closer again.

If you practice this diligently and slowly you’ll notice that in the long run, you’ll develop this thing where you no longer wait with moving your right hand until the left hand is completely gone. You’ll actually move them partially at the same time. So the right hand hits, then the left hand, the right hand moves to the next pad (so towards the left hand) and the left hand then lifts up just in time before the right hand bumps into it. That’s basically the secret, where your hands don’t really wait for each other but they overlap their motions a little bit, moving out of the way just in time.

In an old video I did on youtube I exlain this secret to playing fast, where you develop this automatic reflex where your left hand moves up when your right hand moves down. That’s basically the thing you need. This is the key to speeding things up, but it’s also the same mechanism that makes you able to play on one pad with both hands. >> ⚡ Speed up your finger drumming, the right way... - YouTube

On a controller like the launchpad I do recommend setting up two pads for each tom by the way, simply because those pads are so small and we have enough of them.

I hope this helped a bit, let me know if things are still unclear. Maybe I can film something in the upcoming livestream to make things even more clear for you.

3 Likes

That’s really helpful Robert, thank you

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I was literally trying to interleave my left finger between the right two. While it was possible, it wasn’t very easy. This seems like a much better method.