Finger drumming specific lessons

Hi Robert, As you know, I’m good with drumming and music theory. I’ve done the basic course but want to go straight to lessons that focus on finger technique e.g. how to use each digit appropriately, pad layout, one vs 2 hands? Lesson suggestions please/

Ok let’s see…
I think you probably want to do a combination of the building fills course and the next level beats course.

The first 2 courses I think you have to skip through the parts where I explain how to practice rudiments and how important it is to do that right etc en you should fo straight to the lessons where I show how I devide a certain hand pattern up over the kit, either to get a fill or (in the next level beats course) to get a beat. If you combine this with your already existing drum knowledge my guess is you can “melt” your regular drum knowledge together with finger drumming.

The most interesting part will probably be the fact that you can hit multiple pads at the same time with the same hand.

• Besides those two courses you can check out the “easy awesome & real” course in which I sort of summarize a couple of famous songs. That might also help to bridge the gap if you played one of those songs on real drums before.
  • Same goes for the breakbeat course. Just 6 real beats…
  • And finally, the course about the bossa nova pattern is mainly interesting as an example on how to use hand independence and playing the kick and sidestick with left and the hi hat or ride with right. A different approach.

After all of that, you can also skip through each month in the monthly challenge course, listen to the backing track, see if you can come up with something and then look at what I played and how I played it. I think that will also provide you with examples of how to approach things and it also will stimulate you to come up with your own beats.

My guess is after doing that for a bit you’re sort of good to go and you can keep learning and developing without my help!

1 Like

Thanks for this Robert. Much appreciated.

1 Like