Play like "araabmuzik" on Maschine MIKRO MK3

Ola; hope ya’ll doing awesome!

I’m planning to buy the Maschine MIKRO MK3 ; i just wanna know can it be used for live performance?Like "araabmuzik " concerts; i mean can i switch between sounds, melodies, samples,… fast and during live session ?
and what about “Launch pad PRO MK3” ?

1 Like

I’m sure it is possible, especially in combination with a laptop and Ableton Live. That DAW is designed to do what you’re describing. The new Launchpads on top of that are also built to work with Ableton and trigger clips, sounds, adjust faders etc.

That said, it’s going to be a long journey into learning how to do all of this. I believe Rachel K Collier mad a course recently in which she explains how she does her live stuff. Might be interesting to take a look at.

2 Likes

I’ve watched some of her YouTubes, very impressive. I’m not sure that the Mikro is the best for controlling Ableton. Native Instruments still have no Ableton Script written. I’ve just upgraded to 11 and used to have a couple that worked in different way but since upgradeing, they no longer are regognised in Live 11. I’m using a Tracktor Script just to use the pads for drumming. I have established that the fault is really at Native’s end and not Ableton. Other DAWs may work differently and possible better with the Mikro, I don’t know, I only have the one DAW to use.

3 Likes

Yeah I maybe not made myself 100% clear. I think specifically for triggering clips and doing cool stuff in Ableton, the Maschine Mikro mk3 is not the ideal choice.

And Ivan, you cannot use the device in Midi mode in Ableton 11? Or you cannot use it with Maschine software in Live 11?

1 Like

I took a moment to install the Live 11 - 90 day demo and after restarting my Mac I managed to plug in the maschine mikro mk3, turn it into midi mode and hit the pads and get a response from Ableton.

1 Like

Hi @Robert_Mathijs, I’m not sure how you are getting a response you haven’t identified a control surface or input device. However, that is the page in question that you have pasted in. The available Control Surface (i.e. Maschine or Maschine Mikro 3) are only availalbe if the Device Manufactures have provided either directly to Ableton or via their own software / driver installations a Remote Script. These exist in a folder, which I can’t recall off the top of my head, called Resources. The list of Control Surfaces in Ableton Live 11 for Maschine has diminished. Users that had the Mikro Mk2 and Ableton 9 had an inbuilt script for that device that worked. I managed to lay my hands on a copy and had it working in Live 10 as mentioned in the Ableton forums. That Script is not recognised in Live 11, it threw up an error on boot when I pasted it into the relavant folder. The amount of scripts for Native Instuments has shrunk and there wasn’t many to start with.

Currently, in the Control Surface choice, I have selected Tracktor, and Maschine Mikro 3 in the input. That seems to work in Midi Mode. I’ve not tried it out with the Maschine VST or any of the Native VSTs to date to see how that works. I can’t see that it will in theory. I don’t often use the Native instruments or VSTs, to much of a faff to set them up. Native need to get their ducks in a row and start looking after their customers really.

But of course if @Navid intends to purchase a Mikro Mk3 and he uses Ableton he does need to be aware that most of the Mikro functionality dissapears in Midi Mode leaving just the pads working which is fine for finger drumminng but useless to control Ableton.

Ivan

1 Like

I think there’s a difference between a control surface and a midi keyboard which is what the Maschine mikro in midi mode basically is. If you use it as a midi keyboard, and just hit the pads to send midi notes to Ableton you don’t need to set it up as a control surface. That stuff is needed if you want to use it to start and stop the recording and things like that. Not just playing midi notes.

2 Likes

@Robert_Mathijs , you are absolutley right of course that is all it is in Midi Mode.The pads work for either drums or anything including sound clips in a drum rack. My gripe, and I think I’ve mentioned it before, is that all the other functionality of the device only works if you have the Maschine software either working as your DAW or as a VST in Ableton. Maschine as a VST in Ableton still records everything in Maschine, you still have to transfer the audio back to another track in Ableton afterwards. As I said in the last post, to much of a faff! For someone like me that has to do everything on a really tight budget always looks for products that are multifuntional to get the best out of the money that I spend, lets face it the Mikro is not the cheapest. I did watch loads of videos and read lots of stuff on the Mikro before buying but still managed to miss the crusial fact that the functionality only works with Native software. Although the Pads are fabulous, and they are no question about that, the total puchase is still a massive (no pun intended) dissapointment for me.

There is a standard template in the Control Software that also exists in Ableton, can’t remember its name and can’t access my music PC during the day (got my works laptop plugged up to the monitor) to check. In Live 11 that does some really strange stuff and does turn tracks on and off, but without some kind of manual I have no clue which pad does what. Excuse the pun, but its all hit and miss.

I don’t know if it responds differently on an Apple PC, I’m Windows. So you might have more or less than I do. When I have time I will investigate further as I am sure you will. If I was going for something purley to control Ableton I would probably go with either Akia’s Controllers or (and probably more useful) Novation’s Launchpads. I do have an M-Audio Oxygen Keybaord Controller which is setup for Ableton, which I sometimes use to control the software but often not appropriate for my workflow style. I don’t jam and record that often, I couldn’t do what Rachel Collier does.

There we have it. Can’t think of anything else to say. The Mikro does fine for my finger drumming education.

2 Likes

True, they will not release such a script. However, there is such an unofficial template available (~€10), see this thread:

2 Likes