Aruba vs. Maschine mk3 - for multiple use cases

Greetings,

I’m looking for an excellent finger drumming platform that works both integrated with a computer and as a disconnected, stand-alone MIDI controller connected to a hardware Drum module like Alesis, Roland, Nord, Elektron OT, AR…

In the computer integrated scenario my main software is Ableton Live. I also have Komplete 13 ultimate. I have little to no interest in Maschine software per se and definitely don’t want to have to learn it to learn finger drumming. This is also true with MPC I do not want to learn new software or workflow to use the device.

Someday i will buy a standalone Push 3 - but not this year (I think). Aruba has solid Live integration via MFL. Nectarine can load plugins and supports custom templates for scenarios like Abby Road (Kontakt) or Battery 4.

Maschine has excellent integration with Komplete and would be useful I think for finger drumming and I would not be forced to learn maschine software but I really want the option of not connecting to a computer running Maschine or a DAW as well.

So my question - can MK3 work as a disconnected, stand-alone MIDI controller.

The user manual says:

What’s more, MASCHINE provides lots of options for manipulating your sounds via internal effects
and other sound-shaping possibilities. You can also control external MIDI hardware and 3rd-party
software with the MASCHINE hardware controller while customizing the functions of the pads,
knobs and buttons according to your needs utilizing the included Controller Editor application.

It also says:

A controller not connected to any MASCHINE software instance can be used in MIDI
mode (i.e. as a MIDI controller) at the same time as the other controller(s). See the
Controller Editor Manual for more information on MIDI mode.

Obviously, you would have to be connected to a computer to configure MIDI templates, but to your knowledge does Maschine mk3 work unconnected to a computer? Have you tried this or heard of someone who is using it disconnected from a computer. After scanning the user manual and looking for any clues of using MK3 disconnected from a computer I’d say it’s not a thing.

I know that it does not ship with a PSU but has that option. I’d go with your recommendation if it does this, otherwise I’m leaning to Aruba (I’m pretty sure it works disconnected, standalone).

Thanks
Joe

Hey Joe,

With the Maschine units it does seem that there is some sort of driver on either Mac or Windows that turns on the devices functionality. If you plug it into say, Linux, it will not do anything. Also not open up midi mode.

So the answer is no, Maschine units do not work without a computer. The Maschine + maybe might be able to do something like this, but I doubt it… it probably just uses a simplified version of Maschine Software when used in standalone mode and it will not be just a midi controller either.

@kithara which decision did you make? How did it go?

I am at a similar point. As Ableton Live is my main DAW I am not really interested in the Machine world and I already have the Komplete standard collection. On the other hand Machine Mikro MK3 is cheap enough to use it mostly just as an Ableton controller and at least it would give me the Machine software to play around. Was also considering the Push 3 but I already have several controllers for Live and audio/midi interfaces and then the price is too high. The full Machine Mk3 with its extra controls and displays only looks interesting if I want to use the Machine software regularly.

Then I saw Mathijs mentioning the Aruba and it looks like a very interesting option. Slightly more expensive than the Machine Mikro but with probably better pads, a nice large display, better Live integration and I get the impression also better build quality.

Hi Sonicwalker

I did not make a purchase yet. I got distracted playing my guitar and researching amp sims…

If I want a software dependent device I’d get a PUSH 3 due to my devotion to Ableton. This would work stand-alone with a drum module as well. But… I want to wait a while due to $$

If I want a software agnostic device, but dependent on a computer I’d lean toward Maschine mk 3 because it has MIDI ports, NI KOMPLETE, NKS… On the other hand the Micro mk3 is less than half the price. Loopop posted this review.

If I want a software-agnostic, MIDI stand-alone (not computer dependent) device it would have to be the Aruba. The Aruba pads look great. it is software agnostic but not computer dependent to run. My hesitation stems from reading some Amazon reviews complaining about quality control.

I figured waiting wouldn’t hurt since I’m not finger drumming yet. Also I recently purchased a Nord Drum 2.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Thanks @kithara. I hadn’t looked for reviews using its old product name ‘Aura’, so I didn’t see those less flattering comments. I think I’ll go with the Machine Mikro then. I am using a computer with screen anyhow and also like that it is smaller as space is limited.

The Maschine+ has worked pretty effectively for me with regard to triggering external devices. I haven’t tried it with a drum brain and you may have to use in keyboard mode in the + to play some devices depending on how voice allocation is managed in the receiving device, also helps that you can plug the external device straight into the inputs, if anyone wants me to check anything for them just let me know

1 Like