Logic Drum Kit Designer any good?

Hi,

I understand that it is best to go get a “real” drums plugin for the full finger drumming experience, but I wonder if Drum Kit Designer in Logic would be cutting it, at least for a beginner like me.

I do not see it mentionned anywhere, though. I must say that I find somewhat peculiar, given the level of attention and detail that seems to have been put into this product…

Cheers,

Candide

1 Like

Honestly the biggest reason I haven’t looked into Drum Kit designer is that I used to be on windows until 4 months ago and was not a Logic user.

I also am a bit wary of going down the path of talking about the built in drum kits that come with specific DAW’s because going in depth on Drum kit designer means that I also should go in depth on the Ableton drum rack, Presonus Sudio One, Cubase Groove Agent etc. It’s simply a bit much, which is why I’m so happy with these message boards. I hope people with all kinds of setups can help one another out here as a little addon to what the website provides.

So with all that said, just by looking at the drum kit designer I have a feeling that it will be fine in terms of sound. I don’t know if you csn easily link pads on your pad controllers to sounds, but if that’s possible and when playing it sounds like a drumkit to you, you’re 100% good to go for at leas a few months!

A 100% guaranteed free kit that works is the Steven Slate Drums FREE kit, which also works in Logic.

So in any case you don’t have to spend any money getting a drum kit working that’s good enough for the lessons.

When I have time I’ll look into making a couple of nice sounding presets with Steven Slate Drums Free in addition to the Addictive Drums presets I already made. At the time I made many lessons and courses the free Steven Slate drums did not exist, but now it seems like something I should add to the site at some point since it’s free and works with basically any DAW :slight_smile:

Thank you. In fact, I tried to install SSD FREE yesterday, but bumped into strange filesystem permission issues that forced me to use the command-line. After having to do it a couple times, I decided that this product wasn’t polished enough to make it into my system.

OK well I’ll give a good try to Logic’s drum kit designer, then. A few months is good enough for me at this point.

1 Like

Hello, I have just been confronted with the same question and have so far spared myself the trouble of searching through many forums and manuals. Since two days I own an NI Maschine Mikro 3, I am a Logic X user and want to trigger the sounds of the Drum Designer in Logic with the machine and of course also assign the drum sounds individually to the pads. Unfortunately, the thread here ends exactly where it would be interesting, namely where it would be described how to set this up…I would be very happy if you could recommend the right links / instructions.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Ok, so what I think you should do is this.

You probably want to use the standard GM mapping. By looking at the picture of the mapping you can see for example that the Kick is on the notes B0 and C1

Now you have to assign those notes to the pads of your Maschine mikro in order to map the correct pad to the correct note in Drum Kit Designer.

For that you need Native Instruments controller editor found on this page: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/

With that program you can configure which pad outputs which note on the Maschine mikro in midi mode. Please note that there’s a difference between C1 and C-1. C1 means C One and C-1 means C minus One Sometimes this will lead to confusion and people thinking they mapped the correct note when they actually did not.

This will take some time but once you did it you should be done forever as long as you keep using drum kit designer with your current maschine mikro.

It’s more of a hassle than setting up Addictive Drums or Steven Slate drums for that matter, but you should be able to pull it off.

Good luck!

1 Like