Which pad layout for a beginner?

So I finally upgraded from my 2x8 grid to a Launchpad Pro, and I was just wondering which is the recommended layout for starting off?

https://questforgroove.com/course/beginnercourse/basic-setup/pad-layout/

Will I be better off learning with the tree layout for more flexibility in the long run or would a 4x4 be sufficient and easier? Or is it fairly easy to go from one to another?

1 Like

I think if you like the way the tree layout mentioned above feels, you should be fine with that. Pay close attention to how well things are going over the next two months. If you have trouble following along to the lessons you can switch in time! I think you will be fine though…

Hey been following your lessons with this setup for a while and it feels pretty good, but I found that the extra cymbals on the corner are a bit of a stretch to reach although I could probably adjust to it with time.

However I’m wondering if there’s any downside to putting them in one of the other slots where they are easier to reach? Or is there something that should be placed there instead?

1 Like

Hey, that looks completely fine to me! It looks like you can conveniently combine the cymbals with kick drums which is the most important thing, so I would say: go for it!

The empty slots could be used for alternative snare sounds, but you already have 4 snare pads which is probably more than enough.

1 Like