Web MIDI app (beta!)

What?

I’m about to give finger drumming a try and I really like the “10 minutes a day” practise, but since I do use multiple computers and don’t want to/can’t install software on these I’ve created a free minimal web MIDI app for this purpose. I do however lack consistent drum samples for the quest for groove pattern.

Help?

Do anyone have some free samples thats OK to use for this purpose? I’ve added a kick to all pads as of now.

Only tested with Chrome on MacOS.

Guide:

1. Go to https://molotowtales.com/pads/
  2. Connect MIDI device
  3. Wait for the dropdown to populate (all available inputs will be listed here)
  4. Select the one you would like to setup
  5. Click the cog wheel-button, the lower left pad will start pulsating
  6. Tap a pad on your MIDI device, once registered the pad will go steady and the next pad will start pulsating
  7. Repeat until all pads are mapped. The configuration will be stored locally in your browser, next visit no mapping should be needed.
  8. Drum!
2 Likes

So cool! I was thinking about maybe one day programming the drum patterns in web midi so the correct pads light up and when you hit them the next ones light up.

That would be a cool extra feature for learning don’t you think?

1 Like

Indeed it would and I was thinking about that as the next step for development, once the basics seem stable enough.

Edit: Lighting up the pads in the web interface that is?

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t think you can assume that all pad controllers have lights. And its difficult with how folks configure their notes.

So just showing it in the web interface is safer!

1 Like

Who am I kidding… waiting for stable code?! Your Basic 16th note beat now implemented for test.

And yes, while lighting up device pads would be cool, every model with hw support for that would probably need a separate implementation.

2 Likes

Awesome! Let’s hope someone has some rights-free kit samples somewhere. I know that with AD2 the only thing you cannot do is ‘share’ or ‘sell’ the individual samples… but there should be a lot of free stuff out there. Just not my expertise.

1 Like

Being a extreme-metal bass player from Sweden, I’m clueless regarding (international) music sampling rights…
But I am also the owner of a Roland TR-8 drum machine that I could record some nice 909-style samples from and send to you (free of charge, royalty and whatever) - would that be useful?

1 Like

I can’t wait for this thing to develop!

Also being from Sweden but with very limited musical/drumming theory, I really have no idea either. But it feels “kind of safe” as this is thought to be open and free?

If we just keep the samples as simple as possible with single velocity recordings (to further avoid stepping on any toes) I think it would be a great start to taking this project to the next level!

Would you be able to assemble samples for the basic 4x4 layout?

1 Like

Aaah, there we have it! We are just a couple of Swedish IT-guys collaborating on a hobby-project that ”for some strange reason just randomly happen to sync with QFGs basic pad-layout in a allmost Lovecraftian coincidence”… Almost waterproof :wink:
Just send me a messages here with your contact info - and we’ll sync that way :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know if this helps but here’s a link:

“you’re welcome to use the samples in your music in any way you like - all we ask is that you don’t re-distribute them.”

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll take a look! I guess one could argue both that this is redistribution and not.

I guess as long as you don’t provide direct downloads of the samples it should be ok.

1 Like

Ahoy! I will try to find some time to take this further, still no one able to compile a package of samples needed for the basic QFG layout? It would be a lie to claim that I have a good ear for matching up samples. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Is this any good? https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/4ew9ut/free_sample_pack_of_my_acoustic_drum_kit_real/

Link to the dropbox with the files: Dropbox - Real Drums Vol. 1.zip - Simplify your life

1 Like

If there are sounds you would like to include and are having difficulty locating, I can see what I have that’s sharable from a licensing perspective.

I’m also up for the challenge of creating some sounds, either through synthesis or use of found sound.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this project it seems really useful! Have thought about letting users upload their own samples so you don’t worry about their source?

2 Likes