Presonus Atom Opinions

I just wanted to get your opinion on how this device compares to others in the same price range, like the launchpad x for example. The atom is the first and only drumming device I own, and I notice it’s difficult sometimes to get a good sensitivity, specially for fast snare rolls. Another thing I noticed about this device (at least mine) is that the corners of the pads are much more sensitive than the center, so I try to use the corners most of the time to get better dynamics, not sure if this is something that happens on every drum pad.

Anyway, I’m excited to hear your thoughts about this subject.

I’ve owned it and lots of other drum pads. What I liked about it as an Ableton user is that iy has transports and session control, as well as four encoders, so it’s kind of an all-in-one for Ableton. And I loved the compact size of it. What made me return it though is the double triggering. I bought two different Atoms and both had the double triggering problem. Also, can’t change the notes on the pads, which isn’t a problem if you can MIDI learn like with Addictive Drums 2. Also, and this might be a minor quibble, you can’t change pad colors.

In the Atom price range is the Launchpad X, which I own as of a few days ago. 64 more sensitive pads and very customizable. However, the pads are a good bit smaller. Right now it’s $159.99 at Musicians Friend, etc.

There is the MPD 218. I haven’t tried it but I did buy an MPD232 and returned it because of double triggering. It was sensitive enough but not as sensitive as the Launchpad X.

You can often find the Maschine Mikro MK3 for $170-ish used here in the U.S. I had one. Loved the pad size and sensitivity. But it double triggered, so back it went.

You can find the PadKontrol for around $60 used online. Great pad size, great sensitivity - though a little less than the Launchpad and Maschines but still sensitive enough for me. Two map-able knobs and XY pad and an input for a pedal (like a hihat or kick) but the pedal input is not velocity sensitive. And no double triggering, on my unit at least.

So my recommendation is the PadKontrol (I have the silver one). I like the Launchpad X but the pads might be on the small side for some people. Oddly, I think the Launchpad X pads are slightly bigger than the Launchpad Pro MK3. I’ve owned the MK3 and remember the pads being a little smaller - I was hitting other pads accidentally and felt my fingers more bunched up than with the X but have not measured them to verify.

Right now I still have my Maschine MK3. I’m tempted to sell it and just keep the PadKontrol and maybe the Launchpad X. The Maschine MK3 checks all boxes for me: very sensitive, great pad size, no double triggering, has transports/encoders for Ableton that I use with the Ableton legacy script, has two screens, and works so well with the Maschine software of course. But they go for around $450 used, so I’m finding it hard to justify keeping it when I can use the PadKontrol and my Launch Control XL in combination with Ableton. Those two cost me about $150 used, versus the $450 I could get from selling my Maschine MK3. But it’s nice having an all-in-one with the Maschine MK3. I never use it and think something is missing. It pretty much has everything and is very customizable MIDI-wise if you don’t want to use the Maschine software.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response. I think at this point I’m going to try the launchpad, because I use Ableton as well so I think it’s the best choice.

I think thats a wise decision. At this point, with everything thats available, the Atom should be considered mainly if you have $150 to spend and nothing more or maybe maybe as a Presonus Studio One power user.

As soon as you have $250 or something the Maschine Mikro will be the obviously better choice and if you’re interested in 8x8 and use with ableton the Launchpad X will become an obvious winner.

1 Like

Update:

I just got my new Launchpad X, and boy… it’s awesome! To say that has better touch sensitivity than the Presonus Atom is an understatement, it’s really superior in that area and has much better response to light touches.

The size of the pads doesn’t bother me at all, I think they are just the right size for fingerdrumming unless you are all over the place with your fingers. And now I also have a lot more options when playing because of the extra pads. I’ve already did a custom setup similar to what Robert recommended on his video and it’s working really well.

Overall I’m really impressed and happy with this purchase and I wanted to thank you guys for commenting on this post and encourage me to try it out.

3 Likes

I am a LaunchpadX user, but I started to get jealous of those big pads I see in the videos, so I got an ATOM when they went on sale. I love those big pads! Yes, the sensitivity is not what I am used to. I’ll try the edges as was mentioned in the OP.
I use AD2, so MIDI learn was quick and easy. I also use Melodics Drum Lessons (not pad lessons) for warmups. Believe it or not, the folks at Melodics wrote a custom map for me with the QFG layout (I can share it with anyone that wants it).
I keep the two controllers together so maybe they will have a baby and I will end up with a 4x4 with great sensitivity and customizable note output. Or Novation will hear our pleas and make a 4x4 with big fat pads. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anyone tried to modify the Atom like they do with akai to improve sensitivity. Duct tape, gaskets?

I personally have never tried it. Also because modding the AKAI often does not reliably work every time. It’s something you can try, but always expect mixed results.