New Website - first view

Hey @Robert_Mathijs, just looked in on the new website. That looks great, good work. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™m very happy with how it turned out. For me, the best thing about it is how well it works ā€œbehindā€ the scenes. Itā€™s a much better framework to build on for the coming years!

1 Like

I am curious. What framework is it that you are using? Is it all custom built?

1 Like

Well the core is just Wordpress and the theme is built by me from scratch.

It doesnā€™t use a framework like Bootstrap or anyting. I actually learned about this modern css property called css grid which 3 years ago was a bit tricky to use because of not having complete browser support.

Now it works flawlessly in all browsers and itā€™s such a nice way to design a website.

Still took me a long time to build, but with the more modern css tricks like css grid you can do so much, itā€™s truly amazing.

Thereā€™s also some javascript and stuff in there, but the core is wordpress (so quite a lot of php templates that render all the content in the right way) and then css and especially css grid that puts everything in the right place.

2 Likes

@Robert_Mathijs, how interesting. Iā€™ll have to take a little look at css grid, sounds quite useful. Thatā€™s one I didnā€™t know about. Thanks for the heads up. :+1:

1 Like

Jenn Simmons is the best. She used to work for Mozilla and now works for the Apple safari team. Sheā€™s on a mission to bring better design to the web and one of the people who literally contributes to new css functionality in web browsers.

3 Likes

I love the new website. Thanks for all the hard work. I find myself scrolling to the bottom of the lessons to see comments from other users about the particular module, but thatā€™s just a holdover from watching you on YouTube I suppose. That being said, Iā€™ll make my comment here. Your advice in Grooving and Improving about using a metronome from another sound source than the drums is a true gem. I put Time Guru on my iPad over there. Instant improvement. Thanks so much.

1 Like

@Robert_Mathijs, this is a game changer just trying to learn the syntax now. It will be better when all the web browsers recognise subgrids, reduce the syntax of using flex. I think it will take me a year or more, I still donā€™t understand what is required to make the overall structures and it doesnā€™t help that different creators use there own defined sections with alternative names. Hey, Iā€™ll get there in the end Iā€™m sure. Thanks for the heads up, quite amazing really. :+1:

1 Like

Hey Ivan, you commented on the lack of backing tracks and pdfā€™s in another topic. Iā€™m replying here since this is the correct discussion topic:

The audio backing tracks should be included in every lesson, so maybe you cannot find them or I forgot them somewhere? Let me know which lesson weā€™re talking about here.

The pdf thing was indeed something I left out but I already had 3 people give me feedback about it, saying they want it back so I spent some time coming up with the best solution and I think I found it.

I now included a printer icon in every lesson. You can click it, which will bring you to a printer friendly page. Then you can use the browsers print function to print or save as pdf. This is a better method than the old one, because with the old one I made all the pdfā€™s by hand. This was a lot of work and whenever I wanted to change one spelling error or a mistake in the diagrams I had to remake the entire pdf file.

Now tā€™s generated directly off of the html, which is a smarter system.

You might need to clear your browser cache before everything works 100%.

Cheers,
Robert

1 Like

Hi Rob (@Robert_Mathijs), thanks for doing this its really helpful. The lesson that Iā€™m currently on, the fisrt of Section 6 in Grooving, doesnā€™t have an audio file and I didnā€™t look anywhere else. I thought that perhaps if the PDFs had vanished perhaps the downloadable audio had gone too. The print icon will work, I can print directly to PDF. Thanks again.

1 Like

Ah I see. The first lesson in those sections does not have audio files because the assigments in those lessons do not require any audio files. As soon as those are needed, theyā€™re included on another tab on the lesson page. For example section 6, lesson 2 does have them.

That was already the case on the old site as well!

1 Like

@Robert_Mathijs, thanks. Iā€™ve been back in and checked it all out. The print works well in Chrome, not so good in Firefox but you canā€™t write the code to work in all browsers that is virtually impossible because each browser is at a slightly different place of recognistion. I guess that you are probably an Apple chap and have been checking in Safari. I havenā€™t checked Edge, but as Chrome and Edge are pretty much the same thing apart from owners I guess it should work. Audio downlaods the same way, thanks.

Iā€™ll leave you in peace. Happy Christmas Rob, enjoy some time out. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank Ivan,

Iā€™ll leave you in peace as well, after this:
I checked in firefox and the printing works. If you still have an old style.css file in the cache of the browser (which will probably be there for a month), the printing will look weird.

I wrote some css that targets the printed page but if the old css file is still there somewhere it will screw things up.

For me, it actually did not work in chrome and safari because I use those two browsers and they both cached the css file. Firefox I havent used so when I visited the website now it immediately worked perfectly :slight_smile:

Letā€™s give it some time and if things are still weird on your end in firefox in a couple of weeks, let me know and Iā€™ll investigate.

Alright, happy holidays!

1 Like