Akai MPD226 and GarageBand

I have an AKAI MPD226 running into my iMac with latest operating system. I want to be able set up a configuration of pads as QuestForGroove has suggested, Then record in GarageBand. Is there someone who can help me with learning how to sync particular pads with particular drum and percussions sounds, such that I can then record in GarageBand? Or point me the direction of some documentation of same? I can pay for help under the correct circumstances. Thank you.

1 Like

You probably just want to use the editor software to change the notes to output the right value.

Over here in the downloads tab:
https://www.akaipro.com/usb-pad-controller-with-rgb

This way you can pretty easily link any drum sounds to any pad.

If you use addictive drums, setup is easier because you can use midi learn. For that, mjust check out my beginner course on questforgroove.com and follow the steps for mpd218!

I also found a small guide on how to change pad notes on the mpd226 itself:

Edit Mode

1. To enter Edit Mode, press Edit.
  2. Select a control to edit by touching, pressing, or manipulating the desired control (fader, pad, etc.). In the display, the name of the selected control will appear in the upper left corner, and the editable parameters will be shown below it.In each page of Edit Mode:
  • Use the up/down Cursors to move through the parameters on the current page.
  • If there are multiple pages (indicated by Pg1, Pg2, etc.), use the left/right Cursors to move between different pages.
  • Turn the Data Dial to change the currently selected value/setting. Any value/setting is automatically selected; you do not have to press the Data Dial to enter or select it.
  1. To edit more controls, repeat Steps 2–3.

See the following sections for specific information about each control’s editable parameters.

Pads (Pad 01–64)
Type: The type of event that will be sent. The available settings are Note, Program Change,

and Program Bank.
MIDI Channel: This setting determines over which MIDI channel data is sent. The available

settings are Common, USB A1–A16, and USB B1–B16.
Note: If Note is the selected Type, this assigns the note number.

Aft: If Note is the selected Type, this determines the Aftertouch settings. The available options are Off, Chn (Channel Aftertouch), and Poly (Poly Aftertouch).

Program Number / Pgm: If Program Change or Program Bank is the selected Type, this determines the Program number. The available range is 000–127.

Msb / Lsb: If Program Change or Program Bank is the selected Type, these determine the MSB (Most Significant Bit) and LSB (Least Significant Bit). The available range is 000–127.

MIDI to DIN: Determines whether or not MIDI data is sent to the MIDI Out (On) or not (Off). MIDI data will be sent to MPD226’s USB connection regardless of this setting.

On Color / Off Color: These determine what colors the pad will be when it is pressed (On) and not pressed (Off). The available settings are Off, Red, Orange, Amber, Yellow, Green, Green Blue, Aqua, Light Blue, Blue, Purple, Pink, Hot Pink, Light Purple, Light Green, Light Pink, Grey.

Note Mode: If Note is the selected Type, this determines whether it is in Toggle or Momentary Mode.

Robert, I really appreciate all this help. I will study it carefully and tell you what I discover.

Mike

1 Like