USB Hub advise for multiple midi controllers

Hello everybody,

I am totally new to this world, so please be easy on me. Doing me best to learn as much as possible.

I recently bought a Komplete Kontrol M32 and will add the following gear by the end of this year:

Maschine Mikro MK3, Arturia MiniFuse 2, AT2020 Mic and DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm.

I am using a MacBook Pro M1 Pro 'cus I don’t usually sit on my desk.

So I am in need of a “one cable” solution, if possible.

What you guys are using or would advise? NI knowledge-base reads as it’s advised to plug the audio interface directly to the computer and that would doubles the USB inputs.

Need advise. Thank you!

Hey Mag,

I have a thunderbolt dock for my macbook with everything hooked up to it. No need to plug anything in directly (except for the dock ofcourse).

I bought an older version of this

Works great! It’s not cheap, but this thing delivers a hookup for 3 monitors, power supply, ethernet and a bunch of usb ports to my macbook.

If you don’t need all of that, looking for another, cheaper dock/hub is probably wise. With the speeds that these things have nowadays there is usually no problem with hooking something up via another thing.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your prompt response. That’s a great device overall but even the older versions would break the bank :slight_smile: This guy is more expensive that the gears I have combined.

Speed and heat dissipation are two major issues I suppose. And yes, speed would not be an issue an but the heat would damage.

Maybe others can share how they manage too. This topic is somewhat a mistery. Can’t find proper information anywhere.

Ok, I hope you’ll find your solution. I was a bit shocked by the high price of these hubs, but it indeed seems to be an issue with heat and high data transfer rates that makes these things harder to make budget friendly.

I got this hub in 2020 for my MBP M1 and it’s been rock solid for my many controllers and other usb devices.

I believe the cable it came with was USB-A type so you nee to get a USB3-B to USB-C cable like this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082M16BQB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you, that sounds like a good option. I never heard this brand before but the important thing is customer experience and you are happy with it. It’s on my radar. Thanks again.

1 Like