Metal fingerdrumming?

Hi everyone,
I’m back after a longer break, and I’ve been drumming like crazy since a couple days ago. No fingers already hurt, but i can see progress.
I’ve been wondering, is any of you into heavier music? Did any of you try learning some progressive rock stuff, for example? Maybe even metal?
I’ve been practicing Opeth’s Windowpane lately, and its coming together quite nicely, but that’s not really that heavy.
I have also scrambled together some drums for a metal project we’ve started with a friend, and it does sound ok, but took way too many tries, and was put together from multiple midi clips.
Playing fingerdrums Gojira-style seems way out of my reach yet, but hey, Rome wasn’t built in a day.
Do you guys have any tips on practicing double bass drum patterns, fills, etc., for metal music?

3 Likes

One ‘hack’ I could think off is to actually switch kick drum and snare drum pads so you hit the kicks with your index and the snares with your thumbs. Thumbs are great for kicks normally, but they’re not the best for super fast rolls. That goes a lot better with other fingers.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

2 Likes

Yes this is great. If you ever make the video explaining your technique please share it here as well. I will redirect people who ask about this to this thread (until maybe one day I’ll make a course).

Here’s the video explaining the quad bass playing! So nice of you to help us out here Scott!!

Thanks Scott, thanks Robert! This will be very useful. I’m working atm, but I already started practicing on my desk. :wink:
This looks very promising.

1 Like

Definitely interested in metal drumming! Gotta get the basics down first, but I’m glad to see that I’m not the lone metalhead on the website! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like