Learning to play isomorphic keyboards, anyone?

Hey Everyone,

I’m finding it so much fun to play with my drum pads that I’m starting to think about expanding my skills to be able to play harmony and melodies on an 8x8 grid in addition to the drums.

My current setup is made of a Maschine mk3 and a launchpad pro mk3 that I’m using together with Ableton. I use the Maschine only for browsing sounds and playing drums, obviously.

I have also played with GeoShred quite a bit, which is a lot of fun.

Isomorphic keyboards seem so much more logical to me than regular keyboards… and more versatile as well. But looking at online resources, it looks like it is still a total underdog as an actual musical instrument, which I find a little bit disturbing. So yes, a few people are playing the Linnstrument (or at least they have bought one), but actual performances are extremely rare. Same goes for Geoshred, which seems quite popular – it is also a lot cheaper – but seems to be more of a hobbyist’s toy than anything else.

I am thinking of trying to learn the Keys instrument in Melodics but using my LP as a controller. Ideally I would have a LPPro for the left hand and Geoshred for the right hand :stuck_out_tongue: …although I haven’t found a way to create such an “aggregate” MIDI instrument, one that would be recognized by Melodics… If you have the solution, I’m up for it!

Anyways, I’m interested in your thoughts on this topic. And sorry if it sounds a bit off-topic.

BR,

Candide

The people at Melodics are supportive of creative ways to use their program. Using pads to play their keys lessons is straightforward. They use General MIDI assignments, so you can set up your controllers to play what you want. I use a 4x4 pad controller for their drum lessons (not their pad lessons). They made a custom map for me to have the QFG layout on the pads. It’s fun for a warm up or when I’m too tired to do anything difficult.
If you sent a message through their support page telling them what you want to do, they might be able to help you. It is not so crazy to have an aggregate MIDI set up.

UPDATE: I tried it tonight with my Launchpad X and it works great! The “map my controller” feature worked perfectly and I just had to increase the octave until it hit the right octave and I was playing. Thanks for the fun suggestion! Any excuse to practice on the pad controller is fine by me. :smile:

Yes, using just one controller works fine, but I wanted to be able to use both the LP and Geoshred at the same time. I couldn’t figure out a way to do it on Mac OS X. But I was able to connect the LP to my iPad and then, using AUM, have the midi signals from both Geoshred and the LP be sent together to the Network Session (which for some reason has to be named the default “Session1” name to be recognized by Melodics).

Now, although that technically worked, I couldn’t yet find out if it’s a practical layout for learning Keys with Melodics, since I’m such a N00b anyways.

Techicalities aside, and now that I’ve been able to test it for real, I’m wondering if this is indeed a good setup. I like the fact that the scale keys are highlighted, and on Geoshred I even have the name of each note written on the “pads”. But that means that I need to be in the correct key for each tune, which I’d have to figure out by myself in Melodics since, AFAIK, it is not mentioned anywhere in their software. I could of course stay in the key of C Major and use the pads as a regular keyboard of course, but that isn’t doing honor to the isomorphic layout.

Also, it looks – but I’d have to research that further, that playing chords on the pads is in fact harder than on a conventional keyboard, where the 12 semitones are at the very least all reachable with one extended hand. I’m not saying that it cannot be achieved with the pads, but even so I find that the position of the hand can easily feel “crippled” as you have to get your fingers to be all on the same line. I see the Launchpad’s Chord mode as a nice alternative, but then it becomes potentially harder to understand what keys to hit than to learn to play a normal keyboard… But that remains to be seen.

So in conclusion, maybe the trickery of the Launchpad can be a good way to play some basic tunes, but I’m guessing: at the expense of the expressiveness that playing a real keyboard is bringing.

That said, it could be more than enough for note entry and experimenting for those of us who just want to learn some basic composition and then have their DAWs play what has been recorded (and then possibly edited). Or maybe it can be enough for the harmonic part of some musical genres.

IMHO, it is however not going to cut it for playing jazz or classical music, since those have been written on and for the classic piano layout.

Now that doesn’t mean that intricate, interesting music cannot be created with the pads and all the smarts that come with using them in combination with software, but I think that music doesn’t exist yet, as it has to be created with the instrument that goes with it. That may be exactly the point.

I am thinking about seeing how far I can go with “hacking” the Melodics lessons with the Launchpad. By “hacking” I mean using a minimal set of keys for playing chords with my left hand only. I would really like to combine that with using Geoshred with my right hand when that becomes relevant.

The only problem I have with that is that it would require unplugging my LP and then going through all the necessary steps to create a Midi Network Session and all that in order for Melodics to see my iPad as one big midi input device, which is not very practical to say the least.

So I’m still on the lookout for a quick and easy way to create an aggregate Midi device on Mac OS X.

I’m trying to play my Linnstrument every day now. Slowly learning to play nice chords and voicings and getting a feel for how I can play it intuitively like I play my guitar.

Unfortunately, just like finger drumming, I think I have to keep this up for at least another 2 years before I can share anything meaningful about it as to how to approach learning this thing.

It has a lot of potential though!

But do any of these devices (Linnstrument, Launchpad, Geoshred, Joué, Continuum, etc.) really have the potential to become a replacement for either the piano or the guitar? I’m mentioning those two instruments because of their popularity at being simultaneously a harmonic, a melodic and a rythmic instrument.

I think the fantasy behind something like the Linnstrument is to make it something of a universal instrument, but bringing that concept to a whole new level, given the potential of MPE combined with synthetic instruments (sampled, modeled, etc.).

Touch surfaces, either rubberized or glassy like the iPad are also promising.

What I’m wondering about is: how will those kinds of interfaces make it into the mainstream, if ever. Apart from the fantastic potential that appeals to some early adopters / nerds, I see a number of problems that may hinder their adoption:

• they’re not sexy, compared to e.g. the fantastic phallic appeal of an electric guitar, or the romantic / high society imago of the piano keyboard
  • they have no history → teachers are rare, suspicious, with dubious backgrounds and unreliable pedigrees – just look at Rob
  • in order to produce any sound at all, they need a computer, a device that is primarily associated with bullshit jobs and mass surveillance

This, btw, applies to Drum Pads as well, IMO :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah in all honesty I think the Linnstrument is mostly a device for people like myself, who really like figuring something out that does not exist yet.

And even if I figure this out, it’s a lot less straightforward than drumming. I cannot imagine me seriously teaching other people how to do this in a structured and meaningful way like I do with finger drumming.

If it can replace my piano completely… time will tell. At least a few more years of music making and slowly integrating the Linnstrument.

1 Like

Hahaha, nice one by the way :smiley: It’s always been a dream of mine to be the music teacher equivalent of a dude selling you a cheap tv in an abandoned alley somewhere.

2 Likes