G&I Section 2 - Troubles sensing sections of backing track

In Grooving & Improving- Section 2, on the backing tracks I have a hard time ‘sensing’ when the change of the sections, so I can’t tell when I’m meant to play the fill.
In section 1, there’s a clear turnaround, but I can’t sense any similar turnaround for section 2. Any tips for what to listen for?

1 Like

Ah that’s interesting. A good thing to incorporate in your drumming is a clear sense of the “One” in each bar. So besides the whole count (1e&a@e&a) there’s also just the one at the beginning every time.

You can try playing and just saying “One” out loud without counting the rest.

Then the next step is to give each bar its own number so:

• One (e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a)
  • Two (e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a)
  • Three (e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a)
  • Four (e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a)

If you do that you’ll notice that fills or variations usually happen sort of symmetrically.

It’s usually every 2, 4, 8, 16 bars that something happens. Rarely you’re supposed to play a fill in bar 3 or 5 or 11.

4, 8, (sometimes 12) and 16 is where it’s at.

So… my guess is you have to count in what bar you play the fill / transition. And when you counted and played the fill that way a few times you’ll start to feel where it is without counting every bar. This is something that will develop and strengthen over time. Drummers have this ‘subconsious’ sense of how many bars are played and when it’s time to play a little fill or variation.

You could use my demonstration to count without you actually having to play. That might be a good 1st step to make things a little easier.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the help. Yeah I have an intuitive sense of the beginning of the bar for the backing track, but yeah I guess I need to count the bars until I get a better sense of the transitions for that track.

1 Like