Anyone tried Modo Drum?

IK Multimedia have got a 70% discount on MODO Drum SE until 17 March 2021 and I had a coupon so I bought it for just £25. I’m really impressed with the sounds and configuration options. It was easy to map to the QfG layout. Apparently it uses a modelling technique rather than samples.

Anyone else tried it and got any tips?

1 Like

I have not used it, but it’s a cool concept, using synthesis instead of drum samples to create the drums (or maybe they use synthesis together with samples, not sure).

Honestly by listening to the sound demos, it sounds completely fine. If you like the sounds, my guess is you’ll have a blast with this as your kit.

The reason I’m not buying it is simply because I notice I get better results by forcing myself to not buy new plugins but work with the ones I have and get to know them better. I’m still getting better at tweaking Addictive drums to my needs and still; very happy with it so I’m not switching any time soon.

Great tip but too late for me. I’ll justify it to myself that I am still in the exploration phase of my drumming adventure and it was cheap.

Joking aside, I agree that limitations have forced me to be more creative, and more/better gear doesn’t improve my performance, although it can be a good motivator.

2 Likes

Have you considered making a course on getting the most out of Addictive Drums? I’d be interested. Manuals are so dry and I think you’d do a good job, especially coming from a finger drumming perspective.

Community: Give this a like if you agree.

2 Likes

It would be an interesting topic for sure. Don’t know when exactly I’ll get around to it though. (I have some more courses in progress ast the moment which will take me at least a whole year to finish).

One thing I can say is that learning how to mix a song is probably the most important aspect of knowing how to tweak the drums to sit well in a mix. For that I can recommend all the courses by Matthew Weiss and the stuff on Puremix.net

I think if you understand what those guys do, using AD2 is going to be pretty straightforward. So that might be an option for those of you interested in getting a great drum sound (with any plugin) in the meantime.

Although I’m replying a couple of years after this topic started, I thought it would be worth commenting that I’m using MODO while working on the QFG course. I switched to MODO (after using and trying out a bunch of other software kits) and I really like the flexibility. You can set different velocity curves per instrument, and I have my two snare pads set up as left and right hand hits for that extra touch of realism. I also find the sounds are very responsive to the pads on a Maschine Mikro MK3.

2 Likes

In principle I also really like the idea of physical modeling and MODO drums. I’ve got the SE edition and tried out out recently. To me, it sounded decent. What I liked is that you can tweak more variables and also control them via MIDI CC.
What I noticed: Even though MODO Drums is physical modeling, it’s still bigger on install / sample size than Addictive Drums 2.

But I still went back to Addictive Drums 2, probably for similar reasons as Robert mentioned. It’s good to have one plugin you learn to tweak well. And what I also really like about AD2: It comes with lots of very good presets that range from pretty natural sounds to very processed / creative sounds. Most other drum plugins don’t go into the creative / crazy category.

Still, I’d be very interested how a MODO Drum 2 could look like.

1 Like