Recording Yamaha FGDP-50 to Ableton

Hey Everyone
I own a Yamaha FGDP-50 finger drum pad, which has it’s own built-in drum sounds and samples. I want to record my playing into Ableton Live, but when I record, all the drum pad sounds are captured on a single audio track with all the drums combined. Instead, I want each drum pad sound to be recorded on separate audio tracks (specifically to separate the kick and snare to separate audio tracks). This way, I can mix and process each drum sound independently rather than processing the recorded drums in one track. Does anyone know how to route the pads individually to audio tracks and set this up in Ableton Live?

Warm regards
Soulbutter

Hey Soulbutter,

I’m afraid it’s not possible. The usb output if the FGDP is basically a stereo output, not a multichannel output. I tried as well, to no avail :frowning:

Mulitracking in Ableton would require drum sounds inside ableton and then triggering with midi (which could still be the yamaha fgdp)

1 Like

If you want the same sound, but multi-track, you could sample your FGDP-50 into the drum rack, and then use MIDI to record it. Then you have it multi-channel audio where in the drum rack you can mix everything or apply different effects per sound. Or later you split the midi to separate DAW tracks, whatever your workflow fits best.

1 Like