Fingers hurt really bad after playing for 5 days

I’ve been following the courses on the quest for groove. And today my fingers really hurt that bad that i can’t play anymore without having pain on the tips of my fingers (the side were i hit the pads). I use the maschine mikro mk3 in midi mode (addictive drums), and i think its maybe because the i need to hit the pads really hard for them to make a nice clear sound. It also could be that my pads are just not thick enough to have soft bounce. I have looked up for replacing my pads with thicker pads but they are not available for the maschine mikro mk3. You can only buy them for the older maschine versions. Im just wondering if anybody else has this problem after playing for maybe 1 hour or longer. Thanks anyway for reading this and helping out!

2 Likes

Hey Nathie,

If you have to hit the pads so hard your fingers hurt something is not right. The Maschine Mikro (when set to the most sensitive setting inside controller editor) should respond to your hand literally falling down on the pad without you even actually hitting. A solid, firm tap will then be enough to get a well sounding snare hit for example.

Also, I recommend all beginners to keep their practice sessions under 1 hour. (in this lesson Log In ‹ The Quest for Groove — WordPress ) Your hands won’t feel tired because the movements are smaller than with playing sports, but those tiny hand muscles and tendons do need to properly adjust and get strong and stuff, so it’s better to play a little each day in the beginning. That’s the fastest way to progress anyways. 5 times 10 minutes a day is better than 1 hour once a week.

But the bottom line is: your maschine mikro mk3 should be very sensitive. If it doesnt trigger to soft hits something might be wrong hardware wise. If it does trigger to soft hits but you’re not getting any solid loud hits, maybe also adjust some response curves in your drum software so it triggers louder to softer hits… (that depends a little on the software you use).

Thanks for responding!

I play mostly 1 hour or more a day, because its so fun to learn its kinda addictive. But i am going to change the response curves in my drum software so that it should sound louder. I also did put books now underneath my controller and it is way softer to hit the pads than before. This fixed my issue

1 Like

Alright glad to hear it. Be careful and have fun playing!

@Nathie200 I’ve overdone it a few times, so I know that feeling. What are you using to listen? You might be able to get better sound with lighter pressure with a different method of amplification. I was using a little portable speaker that just couldn’t transmit the sound, so I was compensating with harder hits.

1 Like

@Lynnjamin I am using an amplifier connected to my mixer so i don’t think that is the problem. I fixed the issue by putting a t-shirt or something soft underneath my pad controller

2 Likes